Is Harris Teeter ever going to come to Richmond?

Aaron Kremer June 27, 2011 13

Harris Teeter, the N.C.-based grocery store, has a ton of locations surrounding Richmond (in Cville, in NOVA and in Hampton Roads). Why doesn’t it have a single store here? When Ukrop’s was being shopped around, Harris Teeter was rumored to be among the potential acquirers. Why don’t they build stores here?

Print Friendly and PDF

1. Kathleen June 27, 2011 at 3:18 pm - Reply

Do we have the market/capability to sustain a fourth grocery store chain? We’re already having trouble finding grocer’s for the East End.. We need to look at lower end stores like Bottom Dollar. Seems like between Fresh Market and Food Lion, Martin’s and Kroger hold the reins.

2. Pete Manners June 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm - Reply

Please! Can any grocery store be more lower-end than Martin’s?

3. Brett June 28, 2011 at 6:50 am - Reply

Pete, apparently you have not shopped at The Market downtown. Spend an hour in there and you will be running to the nearest Martin’s.

4. Rojo Johnson June 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm - Reply

Pete: Martin’s is one (and only one) step ahead of Food Lion. Kroger has stepped up its game and has done a lot to capture the Ukrop’s vibe. Fresh Market and Whole Foods (and Trader Joes) are too small of a scale to be considered players.

5. Jason June 28, 2011 at 6:59 pm - Reply

Kroger is the big dog now. I was in the one at willow lawn today at three thirty and it was slammed! For a tuesday. Crazy. Martins needs to staff there stores or they will soon go the way of ukrops. Harris teeter would be welcomed in this market and it won’t be long once they can identify a central location.

6. Lynn Christoipher June 29, 2011 at 8:05 am - Reply

We should try and recruit Wegmans – best in the industry for customer service, variety, fair prices. Martins is the worst – especailly for customer service. Whoe Foods/Trader Joes are the best in Richmond. You CAN shop smart . Get the best you can afford to fuel your body and get the home necessities at the discount guys.

7. Kathleen June 29, 2011 at 8:43 am - Reply

I would much rather see a Wegmans than HT. But I would also like to see another Trader Joes first…

8. Marsha Killington June 30, 2011 at 8:06 am - Reply

HT or Wegmans or TJs… I’d love any of them to come to Midlothian!

9. Veronica Bartges June 30, 2011 at 9:09 am - Reply

The grocery store selection in Richmond is just pitiful. You have the options of so-so, bad, worse, and terrible. I live in Church HIll and the Market at Tobacco Row is just atrocious. I only go there when I need something quick or do not want to drive. With the exception of organic/natural stores, such as Ellwood, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and Trader Joes, I dread going shopping for groceries.

After living in Charleston, SC for a long time, I am spoiled by their store selections. Harris Teeter, Publix, Whole Foods, Earth Fare, and Piggly Wiggly are just amazing. Even the “worst” Pig is immaculate compared to Richmond stores .

If HT came to Richmond I think Kroger would be their only standing comeptetion. I know they would have my business, even if they are 10+ miles away.

10. DaveM July 1, 2011 at 11:44 am - Reply

I’ve been to a Harris Teeter in Charlotte in what locals there call the “Taj-ma-Teeter”. It blows away any of the Ukrop’s store that used to be in terms of size, fresh food selection and cleanliness. I’ve been to plenty of Wegman’s up in the Boston area too and they are very comparable. Though Wegman’s may have better customer service.

11. Parkwood July 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm - Reply

I second Veronica. I’m from Charleston and miss Publix and “The Teeter.” I shop mainly at the Kroger in Carytown and go across the street to Martin’s for things I can’t find at Kroger. Kroger is getting better with the renovation. Martin’s customer service is terrible. The staff is the same group of disgruntled Ukrop’s employees. They should have cleaned house with the change. I don’t think it will be long before Martin’s rolls out of Richmond.

12. andy July 13, 2011 at 8:40 am - Reply

Please send a ShopRite. H-T is ok, but ShopRite ROCKS!!!

If you haven’t shopped their CAN-CAN event, you haven’t shopped!!!!

13. DaveM July 13, 2011 at 2:12 pm - Reply

ShopRite???? Ugh! No thanks!!!