Richmond properties land in Bo Time zone

David Larter January 17, 2013 18

The Bojangles’ at South Laburnum Avenue and Nine Mile Road. (Photos by David Larter)

A fried chicken chain is dancing its way into three new locations in the Richmond area, and it’s looking to expand even further.

Redco Properties, a North Carolina company that operates dozens of Bojangles’ Chicken ’n Biscuits franchises in the Mid-Atlantic, last month purchased three sites for new restaurants in Chesterfield, New Kent and Hanover. The company paid a combined $1.68 million for the properties.

The chain is seeking more locations.

Nicki Jassy, a broker with Cushman & Wakefield | Thalhimer who represents Redco, said the company isn’t stopping there.

“They are looking for more sites,” Jassy said. “They want to expand, and they are looking all over the Richmond market.”’

Jassy said Redco hoped to begin construction within the next three months.

The three properties are 1.22 acres at Bermuda Crossing Shopping Center in Chesterfield, 1.86 acres at Patriots Landing in New Kent and 1.4 acres at Winding Brook near Lewistown Road in Hanover County, an area that has seen some big activity in recent weeks.

Redco already owns four Bojangles’ locations across Richmond.

It built one last year at Rutland Commons in Mechanicsville.

It also has stores at the intersection of South Laburnum Avenue and Nine Mile Road, in Hopewell and in Petersburg.

Thalhimer broker John Nielsen worked the deal with Jassy.

Print Friendly and PDF

1. Brian January 18, 2013 at 7:43 am - Reply

What about the West End like they used to be in the early 1990s? Bojangles has the best chicken biscuits.

• Bill January 18, 2013 at 9:48 am - Reply

Agreed, I’d love one out in Short Pump and I’d love one up in Charlottesville too while we’re at it!

2. Roxanne January 18, 2013 at 10:21 am - Reply

I just read this to my 13 year old and made her day. We/she loves Bojangles and we stop at the South Boston location coming and going everytime we visit relatives. She was screaming with joy! We only wish the Chesterfield location was opening at Hancock Village off 360. Course we’d all be fat as fools on Bo-Berry Biscuits and Chicken! YAY!

3. James Hoffman January 18, 2013 at 10:32 am - Reply

What about the Broad/Staples Mill and Broad/Libbie areas? Let’s go Bo!

4. Lavern B. January 18, 2013 at 10:37 am - Reply

And how about one in the Sycamore Square or Westchester Commons area?

5. Jay January 18, 2013 at 1:21 pm - Reply

As a native of SW VA and a long-time Bojangles fan who lives in downtown RVA, I am a little disappointed that there isn’t a store closer to me. Soon, I hope.

• James Hoffman January 18, 2013 at 1:38 pm - Reply

I agree! Hope they step up their game in our area.

6. Shelly January 20, 2013 at 11:36 pm - Reply

I’m glad about the Bermuda crossing location!!! Short pump and broad street already has a high concentration of restaurant variety. Perfect location south of the James!

7. Tom January 24, 2013 at 9:21 am - Reply

BoJangles in Short Pump please!

8. Kenneth January 29, 2013 at 1:29 pm - Reply

Good news! Bojangles was in RVA during the late 1980s on Chamberlayne Ave. It since turned into Popeyes (and then something else). Best thing about Bojangles is their all day breakfast biscuits. Building one in the West End would be golden!

9. Justin January 29, 2013 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I need a Cajun fillet biscuit combo fix at Willow Lawn post-haste.

• Roxanne January 29, 2013 at 3:51 pm - Reply

How about a BoBerry biscuit and a sweet potato pie?

• Jay January 30, 2013 at 9:06 am - Reply

Willow Lawn would be perfect.

Maybe when that Hardees across from Chipotle closes (How are they even still in business? Do people eat at Hardees?), a Bojangles will replace it.

10. Stephanie January 30, 2013 at 1:19 pm - Reply

Actually Jay, if you are in the mood for a great burger, Hardee’s Big Thick Burger is pretty tasty. Among the best fast food burgers I have had. I’ve also heard the steak and egg biscuit is quite yummy. Maybe these items can help save the wilting Hardee’s franchise.

In the meantime, bring on the Bo!

11. Scott May 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm - Reply

we need a BoJangles near the new Kroger’s on Midlothian near 150. That area is booming and Bo would do great there. I know I would stop there every moring like I did when I lived in NC.

• Tammy D May 2, 2013 at 8:01 am - Reply

Bo’s is already there, across the street from the new Kroger…

• Tammy D May 2, 2013 at 8:05 am - Reply

I take that back, it’s a Popeye’s on Midlo…

• Chris Terrell May 3, 2013 at 7:52 am - Reply

There is already a Popeye’s and a Panera, now bring on a Chipotle or Qdoba…. And Carena’s is packed most nights we are there (and very reasonable, lot’s of entress around $9.). It’s become a new favorite haunt. Glad to see this part of the county rebounding.